Monday, 21 December 2015

Christmas Party Trends (feat. Farfetch)


I was recently sent this infographic by Farfetch, a luxury digital fashion company. It gives an insight into the trends featured in their new editorial 'Champagne Season'. The editorial is inspired by the idea of fairy-tales and fantasies being merged with the Christmas season. Each look is modelled by Margaret Zhang who I am a huge fan of, and she really brings the garments to life with the composition of her body and her use of movement. I have decided to put together a number of looks featuring both garments from the editorial, and from high street brands to help you out with any ideas for what to wear this Christmas!



The first trend is titled 'Enchanted Escapes' and focuses on combining disney princesses with 90s rock glam. The colour palette is a mixture of girly pinks and gothic blacks, with a contrast of both soft and hard textures. Before putting together the outfits, I looked at catwalk looks and movie wardrobes for inspiration.

This image is taken from Simone Rocha's SS16 catwalk and truly reflects the 'Enchanted Escapes' trend:


The 1996 film 'The Craft' was hugely influential for this trend:


The first outfit I put together consisted of high-end garments from the Farfetch website. I feel like it really captures the essence of 'feminine-punk', a look which is not often seen, but works really well. I love the Giamba dress, as its lace detailing is gorgeous and the hints of yellow and pink are subtle enough to add an extra hint of femininity. The long black Akris coat is perfect for winter and the fur trim is sure to keep you nice and cosy.



I then put together an outfit for the trend that featured garments from the high street for a cheaper alternative. This outfit is a little more plain but I think it is an interesting composition of layers and little details. I paired a white lace Miss Selfridge bodysuit with a New Look dress which is also white and has a fur trim. The dress really reminds me of 90's chick flicks such as The Craft and Clueless, especially paired with a top underneath it. The lace and flared arms on the bodysuit add a feminine touch. The choker from River Island is absolutely gorgeous and is a perfect combination of girly and gothic glamour.




The next trend is titled 'Frill Fantasies' which focuses on enchanting frills and pleats, alongside fitted waistlines and dark accents to illustrate a moodier side of fairytales. This trend is heavily influenced by the likes of McQueen who featured Victorian-style dresses in their SS16 show, as seen below:


The high-end look that I put together for this trend is one of my favourites out of all of the outfits. I love the sheer materials mixed with the bold black accents. The Alexander McQueen blouse has a Gothic Victorian silhouette, but the translucent fabric makes it incredibly delicate. I love this colour palette of a simple mixture of nudes and blacks, with the materials and the actual garment construction being the main talking point.



For the high street look, I have gone for a much more toned-down look and the colour palette is more subtle with just the use of nudes. The main component of this outfit is the gorgeous halter-neck jumpsuit from Boohoo. I love the dusty pink colour that it is available in, as it is very soft and sophisticated. My attention was drawn to the incredible ruffled neckline and the semi-sheer flared trousers. It gives the piece quite a periodical appearance, opposed to a more contemporary piece, which is perfect for this trend in particular. I paired the jumpsuit with a number of accessories from New Look, Topshop and River Island, which all feature tassels to really keep the trend running throughout the whole outfit.


Jumpsuit: Boohoo
Earrings: New Look
Bracelet: New Look
Shoes: Topshop
Bag: River Island


The final trend is 'Gothic Glamour'. Each trend has had a 'gothic' element to it, but this last trend makes it the sole focus. Inspired by the likes of Oscar De La Renta and Nicopanda's most recent collections, Farfetch have made this trend about being original and telling a story through the clothes that adorn your body. This is probably my favourite out of the three trends as I am just so in love with the black lace and small hints of sheer materials.

I looked at some of the looks from Elie Saab SS16 for inspiration, and these were some of my favourite pieces:


The outfit that I created using high-end garments was probably a bit more stripped back compared to the rest of the looks but I really love it. I coupled a Giambattista Valli long-sleeved peplum blouse with some incredibly detailed lace Eranno Scervino flared trousers. I love how well the two pieces of apparel really complement each other, with them both incorporating black lace and flared cuts. The accessories are both Saint Laurent as I am a huge fan of their dark, hard aesthetic and think it goes really well with this particular trend.


My final outfit is the high street version of the 'Gothic Glamour' trend and I am a huge fan of it. This could actually be worn with just the bra along with the skirt and accessories, but I decided to add the red crop top from New Look to make the outfit even more unique. Each garment once again has an element of lace, and I think they all work really well together. I opted for quite heavy accessories so that it would build the intensity of the look and make it feel as Gothic as possible.



So there you have plenty of inspiration for any last-minute Christmas outfit ideas, or just in general for the party season! I would like to say a big thank you to Farfetch for sending me their 'Cocktails in Wonderland' infographic and helping me to share with you some of the biggest trends this Christmas. I have linked all the garments below each outfit for you to click on if there are any items that you want to get your hands on!

Be sure to check out the Farfetch website and their Christmas editorial.

Thank you so much for reading, and well done if you've made it this far as I know it was a pretty long post. Keep your eyes peeled for a couple more blog posts coming your way this week and make sure to follow my blog & other social media platforms if you haven't already :)

Also, if you have any suggestions/comments/feedback then comment below or hit me up on my social media platforms listed below:

Twitter: @jemmajasmine_
Instagram: @jemmajasmine_

Jemma x



***not sponsored btw <3

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great Post and Thanks for sharing! I love Frill Fantasies - High Street Looks ^^

    Would you like to support each other by follow on GFC & G+?
    Please Let me know if you follow me and I’ll follow back!

    Love xx
    Official Seol ♥

    ReplyDelete